NEWS AND EVENTS
- (PASET-RSIF) Centre celebrates 50 years, continues snowballing number of scientists Through RSIF, emphasising PhD training in applied sciences, engineering and technology, icipe is set on accelerating its work in the service of society.
- (PASET-RSIF) WPI Hosts Six African PhD Students in Inaugural PASET Program Supported largely by African governments and other donors, including the Government of South Korea and the World Bank, the program aims to build a critical mass of researchers and university professors in Africa.
- (PASET-RSIF) PhD students: A year of great promise, anxiety, lost opportunities
- RSIF African Host University, The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST), to host a Centre of Competence in Digital Education (C-CoDE)
- The Impact of African scientists: How years of building scientific capacity in Africa have been a real game changer in the response to COVID-19
- UCT VC calls on higher education to reinvent itself
The RSIF Team at icipe wishes you a successful 2021
We appreciate your engagement with and contributions to RSIF, PASET’s ambitious flagship programme that builds sustainable doctoral training, research, and innovation ecosystems to develop transformative technologies in Africa for economic growth and development. Despite the challenges brought by Covid-19, we finished the year strong. We thank you for your partnership and support that made this possible. Some of the highlights:
- 67 new RSIF PhD scholars in cohort II were enrolled.
- 14 RSIF research and innovation grants were issued.
- Three more African governments: Burkina Faso, Ghana and Senegal contributed to RSIF.
- RSIF international partner institutions increased to fourteen.
- Over 2200 candidates applied to join RSIF third cohort.
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta hailed the important role of RSIF and urged more investors to join
- icipe awarded a Euro 4.2 million grant from the European Union to boost RSIF’s research and innovation efforts.
In the coming weeks and months, please stay tuned for:
- Updates on more RSIF contributions, currently at final signature stage – and exciting news on the biggest investment from an African government yet.
- Announcement of selected RSIF Cohort III scholars, to increase RSIF scholars to 200.
- Selection results of new African RSIF host universities (AHUs), to increase AHUs to 15.
- Release of several calls for proposals: PhD scholarships, research grants, and innovation grants of different types.
- Dates for the First RSIF Annual Conference which will focus on “The Digital Revolution – implications for science, technology and innovation in Africa”.
icipe receives Euro 4.2 million to boost RSIF’s efforts for unlocking inclusive innovation potential and accelerate inclusive green growth
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (www.icipe.org) has been awarded a Euro 4.2 million grant by the European Union to be awarded competitively through the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) towards Accelerating inclusive green growth through agri-based digital innovation in West Africa. The funds will make available competitive innovation awards and technical support to grantees, with the global goal of unlocking the inclusive innovation potential and support the transition into knowledge-based economies for sustainable development and poverty reduction.
IMT Mines Albi, France and PASET to collaborate on RSIF
PASET through the chair of the Governing Council has signed an MOU with Institut Mines-Télécom (IMT) Mines Albi, France for collaboration on RSIF through academic and scientific research cooperation and capacity development. Activities will include but not be restricted to (i) Sandwich PhD programs; (ii) Visits of faculty for short duration teaching and capacity enhancement for research, innovation and PhD training; and (iii) Collaborative research and innovation projects with RSIF faculty and scholars in particular with the Research Centre in Albi for Particulate Solids, the Energy and Environment (RAPSODEE) (UMR CNRS5302). Projects will aim to address the needs of sub-Saharan African countries in the selected thematic areas and can involve collaboration with private sector firms for the development of new products and processes. We warmly welcome IMT Mines Albi as an PASET-RSIF International Partner Institution, alongside other advanced institutions globally that partner with RSIF.
Meet an RSIF PhD scholar working on geothermal energy system integration
MEET THREE OF RSIF’s 82 PhD SCHOLARS
- (NEW) Fisher M, Nyabaro V, Mendum R, Osiru M (2020) Making it to the PhD: Gender and student performance in sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS ONE 15(12): e0241915. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0241915
The paper examines the association between gender and PhD performance in sub-Saharan Africa; it uses new survey data collected as part of the 2020 RSIF gender research study.
- (PASET-RSIF) Gahamanyi, N.; Song, D.-G.; Cha, K.H.; Yoon, K.-Y.; Mboera, L.E.; Matee, M.I.; Mutangana, D.; Amachawadi, R.G.; Komba, E.V.; Pan, C.-H. Susceptibility of Campylobacter Strains to Selected Natural Products and Frontline Antibiotics. Antibiotics 2020, 9, 790.
- (PASET-RSIF) Hakizimana JN, Nyabongo L, Ntirandekura JB, Yona C, Ntakirutimana D, Kamana O, Nauwynck H and Misinzo G (2020) Genetic Analysis of African Swine Fever Virus From the 2018 Outbreak in South-Eastern Burundi. Front. Vet. Sci. 7:578474. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2020.578474
- (PASET-RSIF) Oyewole, O., Oyewole, D., Oyelade, O., Adeniji, S., Koech, R., Asare, J., Agyei‐Tuffour, B., Soboyejo, W., Failure of Stretchable Organic Solar Cells under Monotonic and Cyclic Loading. Macromol. Mater. Eng. 2020, 305, 2000369. https://doi.org/10.1002/mame.202000369
- (NEW) Zingore KM, Sithole G, Abdel-Rahman EM, Mohamed SA, Ekesi S, et al. (2020) Global risk of invasion by Bactrocera zonata: Implications on horticultural crop production under changing climatic conditions. PLOS ONE 15(12): e0243047. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0243047
- (NEW) Fombong, F.T.; Kinyuru, J.; Ngang’a, J.; Ayieko, M.; Tanga, C.M.; Vanden Broeck, J.; Van Der Borght, M. Affordable Processing of Edible Orthopterans |Provides a Highly Nutritive Source of Food Ingredients. Foods 2021, 10, 144. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods10010144
- (PASET-RSIF) The ADVANCE Journal – Covid-19 Special Issue, focusing on how the pandemic is affecting women in higher education. studying abroad during the pandemic
- (NEW) AI helps to identify new Covid-19 hotspots in Gauteng
- (NEW) Vaccine inequities expose fault lines in North-South collaboration
- Elsevier’s Novel Coronavirus Information Center
- Coronavirus: Research, Commentary, and News – free content from the Science journals
- Coronavirus Funding Monitor
FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS AND AWARDS
- PhD Research Fellowships. IIASA Young Scientists Summer Programme Deadline: 14 January 2021
- IDB-KAUST Joint PhD Scholarship Program Deadline: 15 January 2021
- Postgraduate Training Opportunities under the RUFORUM Graduate Teaching Assistantship Program (GTA)
- (NEW) Commonwealth PhD Scholarships Deadline: 18 January 2021
- Global Challenges Doctoral Centre research scholarships Deadline: 18 January 2021
- RESPOND-Africa Fellowship for postgraduate study in medical statistics or epidemiology Deadline: 22 January 2021
- Building a low-carbon, climate resilient future: Research and innovation in support of the European Green Deal. (20 different topics in this H2020 call) Deadlines: 26 January 2021
- Horizon 2020 – Accelerating the green transition and energy access Partnership with Africa Deadline: 26 January 2021
- (NEW) Call for Research Proposals for the Structural Transformation of African Agriculture and Rural Spaces (STAARS) project Deadline: 31 January 2021
- Commonwealth Futures Climate Research Cohort for emerging research leaders based at ACU member universities. Deadline: 31 January 2021
- PhD fellow in plant developmental biology at University of Copenhagen Deadline: 31 January 2021
- SPIRIT – Swiss Programme for International Research by Scientific Investigation Teams Deadline: 31 January 2021 thereafter 2 November 2021 under new procedure
- Start Up Energy Transition Award Deadline: 31 January 2021
- Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards Deadline: 31 January 2021
- NRF One Call for Proposals in 2020 and 2021. Various categories, see general call guidelines Deadline: 31 January 2021
- 2021 WISE Prize for Education Deadline: 1 February 2021
- Special Research Fund – Doctoral Scholarships for Candidates from Developing Countries – call 2021 – to Ghent University Deadline: 4 February 2021
- (NEW) WFEO GREE Women in Engineering Award Deadline: 7 February 2021
- The Keeling Curve Price for climate solutions Deadline: 10 February 2021
- (NEW) Royal Society Africa Prize Deadline: 15 February 2021
- (NEW) The Royal Society Rising Star Africa Prize to an early career research scientist who is making an innovative contribution to the physical, mathematical and engineering sciences. Deadline: 15 February 2021
- One Planet Fellowship 2021 Deadline: 15 February 2021
- Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships, University of Konstanz Deadline: 24 February 2021
- Global Grand Challenges – Smart Farming Innovations for Small-Scale Producers Deadline: 25 February 2021
- The Arrell Global Food Innovation Awards Deadline: 28 February 2021
- Alexander von Humboldt International Climate Protection Fellowship Deadline: 1 March 2021
- (NEW) The Royal Academy of Engineering Industrial Fellowships Deadline: 8 March 2021
- Deutsche Telecom Women’s STEM Award Deadline: 14 March 2021
- 2021 UNESCO-Russia Mendeleev International Prize in the Basic Sciences Deadline: 15 March 2021
- (NEW) Future Food Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers – A Swiss Research Initiative launched by ETH Zurich and EPFL Deadline: 31 March 2021
- UNESCO-Equatorial Guinea International Prize for Research in the Life Sciences Deadline: 31 March 2021
- ICGEB Arturo Falaschi Fellowship Programmes, PhD and Postdoctoral awards Deadline: 31 March 2021
- Volkswagen Stiftung Freigeist Fellowships Deadline: 1 April 2021
- (NEW) World Food Prize 2022 Deadline: 1 May 2021
- Einstein Fellowship Deadline: 15 May 2021
- (NEW) The Norman Borlaug Award for Field Research and Application Deadline: 15 June 2021
- Seeding Labs Instrumental Access
- Mobility grants for research stays at Danish universities and other research institutions – open until 2020 funds exhausted
SCHOLARSHIPS AND TRAINING
- An Open Call to Higher & Tertiary Education Institutions in Africa to Apply for the 2021 AAU Facilitated Institutional Workshops
- The LoCoFoRest (Locally Controlled Forest Restoration) training programme – applications to open in January 2021
- Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals – Masters Deadline: 15 January 2021
- African Scholarship Programme Wageningen University Deadline: 15 January 2021
- The Clinton Global Initiative University Deadline: 15 January 2021
- ARES Master’s and Training Programmes in Belgium Deadline: 15 January 2021
- Stipendium Hungaricum for study in Hungary Deadline: 16 January 2021
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships Deadline: 18 January 2021
- Microsoft Imagine Cup Global Student Contest Deadline: 29 January 2021
- Vienna Biocenter Summer School Deadline: 31 January 2021
- CERN Online Summer Student Programme 2021 (online edition) Deadline: 31 January 2021
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Deadline: 31 January 2021
- Maastricht University Holland-High Potential scholarship Deadline: 1 February 2021
- TU Delft Holland Scholarship for MSc students Deadline: 1 February 2021
- VLIR-UOS Master Scholarship – Road Safety in the South. Deadline: 1 February 2021
- Schneider Go Green Middle East and Africa Student Competition Deadline: 15 February 2021
- STIAS Iso Lomso Fellowship. Deadline: 15 February 2021
- University of Cambridge Scholarships Varying deadlines until January 2021
- (NEW) IsDB Scholarship Programmes Deadline: 28 February 2021
- (NEW) International Masters in Rural Development (IMRD) Scholarships 2021/2022 for Students from developing countries. Deadline: 28 February 2021
- VLIR-UOS Scholarships for study in Flanders, Belgium. International Masters Programme Deadline: 1 March 2021
- (NEW) Wageningen University online courses with Orange knowledge scholarship Deadline: 16 March 2021
- (NEW) AIMS Structured Master’s Program in Mathematical Sciences Deadline: 31 March 2021
- Japanese government MEXT scholarships for study in Japan 2021
- Call for NRF Postgraduate Scholarships 2021
- Development-Related Postgraduate Courses (EPOS) • DAAD Deadlines: see list
CALL FOR PAPERS AND CONFERENCES
- (NEW) Going Global 2021, Reimagining International Higher Education for a post-pandemic world, the conference for leaders of international education, virtual, 15-17 June 2021. Deadline for proposals: 15 January 2021
- TED Global Idea Search 2021 Deadline: 21 January 2021
- Global Forum for Food and Agriculture 2021 “How to Feed the World in Times of Pandemics and Climate Change”, virtual Date: 18-22 January 2021.
- Applied Research International Conference on Education (ARICE) 2021 Oxford, 25-26 Feb 2021 Deadline for abstracts: 31 January 2021
- (NEW) 15th AAU General Conference & 21st Conference of Rectors, VCs & Presidents of African Universities, 5-8 July 2021. Call for submission of abstracts on “The Future of African Higher Education” Deadline: 31 March 2021
- GAPSYM14: Africa and its ecologies: people and nature in the age of climate change 10 December 2021, Call for papers. Deadline for abstract submission: 1 May 2021
- Call for papers to the Special Issue on Achieving sustainability in family farming in Current Research in Environmental Sustainability. Deadline: 31 May 2021
- Call for rapid fire manuscripts in Global Food Security on foodborne zoonotic pathogens: what do we know and how can we do better?
- Plant Pathologist at The World Vegetable Center Deadline: 15 January 2021
- ESSA, AAU and WEG launch the African Jobs Board The Jobs Board offers the opportunity for universities, colleges, and other education institutions to promote their work and vacancies to a broad audience.
ONLINE RESOURCES AND DISTANCE LEARNING
- (PASET-RSIF) Solution Session: Continue Teaching Your Course Online during the Covid-19 Crisis
- A Digital Edge: Essentials for the Online Learner, free interactive online course by Dublin City University
- Facilitating Events and Courses in an Online World Free Moodle by inasp
- Making Blended Training Work. Designing and delivering (online) training that has impact on your participants Date: 17 May-16 July 2021
- African Scientists Directory – Connecting African scientists globally
- Mawazo Learning Exchange (MLEx): a professional development platform for African researchers
- Korea Education and Research Information Service (KERIS), “Leapfrogging the Challenges of Higher Education During COVID-19: Early Lessons from Korea”
- UNESCO portal of distance learning solutions.