Investments in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) is indispensable for any Country or institution that seeks to secure national security, and leapfrog inclusive socio economic development. The catastrophic impacts of COVID-19 Pandemic have devastated the entire world and brought to the fore the immense and life-saving role of STI as first responder in the global fight against the pandemic and future disasters, thus revealing the urgent need to mainstream and integrate STI strategies in programmes, projects and service delivery systems in Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
For effective implementation of this performance indicator, MDAs are required to appoint a Focal person and Champions to coordinate STI mainstreaming. In addition, MDAs will be required to document available Research, Technology and Innovation Human resource capacity by sub-sector, qualification, field of research/technology innovation, age, and gender as per the PC 18th Cycle guidelines.
The performance indicator applies to all public institutions with a component of research, science, technology and innovation in their mandate and functions. These include:
- Research Institutions, Universities as well as their regulating agencies
- Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET)/Tertiary institutions that are focused on research, science, technology and innovation as well as their regulating agencies
- MDA’s involved in the National Research Priorities Framework
- MDA’s with distinct research and technology development centres/units/activities
MDAs are required to undertake the following:
1. Develop STI Strategy using the template provided (30%);
2. Implement the STI Strategy by actioning the following interventions:
i. Document research programmes/ projects, and the funding sources (10%);
ii. Ensure annual budgetary allocation for R&D is at least 2% of the operational budget (10%);
iii. Undertake research & technology innovation, and technology transfer & commercialization (35%);
iv. Disseminate research findings/recommendations, and technology innovations through conferences, workshops, seminars etc (15%).
All MDAs are required to prepare and submit quarterly performance reports online to NACOSTI (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 15 days following the end of a quarter and the annual performance reports within 15 days after the end of the contract period as per the templates provided in the tables. ”