According to the Section 6(1) of the Science, Technology and Innovation Act 2013, the functions of the Commission shall be to:-
- accredit research institutes and approve all Scientific research in Kenya;
- assure relevance and quality of science, technology and innovation programmes in research institutes;
- develop and enforce codes, guidelines and regulations in accordance with the policy determined under this Act for the governance, management and maintenance of standards and quality in research systems;
- undertake, or cause to be undertaken, regular inspections, monitoring and evaluation of research institutions to ensure compliance with set standards and guidelines; and
- co-ordinate, monitor and evaluate, as appropriate, activities relating to scientific research and technology development.