According to the Section 6(1) of the Science, Technology and Innovation Act 2013, the functions of the Commission shall be to:-
- liaise with the National Innovation Agency and the National Research Fund to ensure funding and implementation of prioritized research programmes;
- in consultation with the National Research Fund Trustees, sponsor national scientific and academic conferences it considers appropriate;
- promote increased awareness, knowledge and information of research system;
- promote and encourage private sector involvement in scientific research and innovation and development; and
- promote the adoption and application of scientific and technological knowledge and information necessary in attaining national development goals.