Goal of the Regional Meeting
The regional meeting sought to facilitate deliberations and exchange of knowledge among experts from the African region, on the ethical dimensions of climate change, in preparation for the 13th Global Summit on Bioethics.
Specific Objectives of the Workshop
The specific objectives were:
- To discuss and agree on an Africa regional position on the ethical dimensions of climate change, as part of the preparatory process for the 13th Global Summit on Bioethics.
- To raise awareness on the ethical dimensions of climate change and enhance better understanding of related issues;
- To create awareness among the public on climate change, through the collaboration with media entities; and
- To identify policy recommendations that address climate change challenges, especially the ethical aspects, based on the expert assessment and the lessons learnt from experience-based solutions.
Participants in the Workshop
The workshop brought together leaders of National Ethics/Bioethics Committees from across Africa.
- Statement for presentation at 13th Global Bioethics Summit, Lisbon, Portugal March 2020
- Conditions for raising awareness among the public on climate change issues, with specific focus on its ethical dimensions, and assisted through interaction between media professionals and experts on the subject matter.
- Policy recommendations to address climate change challenges, especially the ethical aspects, identified.
Ministry of Education, UNESCO, KNATCOM, WHO, National Commission for Science Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI)